Home Business Universities to commence Implementation of new curriculum in September -NUC

Universities to commence Implementation of new curriculum in September -NUC

426
0

The National Universities Commission (NUC) says the implementation of the Core Curriculum Minimum Academic Standards (CCMAS) will commence in September 2023.

The Acting Executive Secretary of NUC, Chris Maiyaki stated this while speaking at the Stakeholders’ Colloquium on CCMAS in Abuja .

The CCMAS document is expected to guide institutions in the design of curricula for their programmes while bringing necessary innovation into the content and delivery of their programmes towards achieving the overall goals of education and training in the country.

Maiyaki said the document would reposition Nigerian universities to be among the best rated in Africa, Adding that CCMAS would make up 70 per cent of the curriculum while the university decides what to include in the remaining 30 per cent.

According to him, the implementation will help sharpen the future of education sector.

”The role and development of the CCMAS is to ensure commitment in advancing of our education and our great nation.

NUC is primarily dedicated in ensuring quality and global competitiveness of Nigerian universities as well as the graduate we produce.

“The development of the CCMAS went through painstaking process by bringing experts from our universities comprising of professors, regulatory bodies, Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) and all stakeholders.

“The CCMAS reflect global initiative that will equip graduates with knowledge and wherewithal that will advance the development of the nation,” he said.

The Minister of Education, Prof. Tahir Mamman, who was represented by the ministry’s permanent secretary advised universities to make optimal use of the 30 per cent university senate’s input.

Mamman urged universities to ensure that learning outcomes, skills as well as soft skills were acquired, irrespective of the core discipline.

He said that the skills must be readily applicable to the environment of the university, the country in particular and the global community in general.

“There is no better place and time than now to develop a strategy that will guide tertiary institutions particularly universities in their mandate to provide appropriate manpower for the country.

“This is through using a curriculum and applying minimum standards that would guarantee we teach our students in such a way and manner that they would be highly skilled and employable to contribute to national development efforts.

“70 per cent of the total curriculum is captured in the CCMAS while 30 per cent of the curriculum has been ceded to universities Senates to build in the uniqueness of their various universities.

“This principle allows for a good deal of adaptation that suits not only local peculiarities of the universities but provides universities opportunities to carve a niche for themselves in areas of comparative advantage,” he said.

The minister commended universities who had concluded their work on the 30 per cent component and submitted same for review.

He also urged those who have not to endeavour to do so in the shortest possible time as the next academic session rolls in.

He pledged the commitment of the Federal Government in ensuring that our education system remained nationally relevant and globally competitive.

In a keynote address, Former Vice Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Prof. Michael Faborode said the idea of the CCMAS was to promote diversification and differentiation in the system.

This he said was to provide proper conceptual administrative guidelines and a harmonised legal framework for higher education.

Faborode commended the over 70 per cent universities that had already complied with the uploading of their 30 per cent curriculum inputs into the CCMAS.

Previous articleTINUBU MEETS ECOWAS PRESIDENT OVER NIGER’S COUP.
Next articleECOWAS DENIES DECLARING WAR IN NIGER REPUBLIC.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here